Okay I did a flip side of this post prior to writing it so please don’t read this first and automatically think I’m miserable. I’m not. I’m just now writing things that I don’t like or that I’ve missed by moving here.
- Mosquito season. Oh wait. It’s always mosquito season.
- It is always hot. ALWAYS. Which brings us to…
- Swamp ass. If you have to ask what this is, consider yourself lucky. It’s that uncomfortable feeling you get in places not spoken of in polite society after sitting around in a wet bathing suit all day. Or just plan sweating all day.
- Roosters crowing at 0300 right outside your bedroom window are annoying as hell. They’re also annoying when they do it at midnight…0100…0200…0400… Actually they don’t have a time setting so they’re likely to do it any old time they feel like it.
- People that don’t know where they live. Really? Learn your street address!
- Tourists that don’t know how to use roundabouts. Granted it took me a bit to figure out how they work and switching lanes and such, but I hate getting behind cars with white tags when I’m in a roundabout. White tagged cars are rental cars.
- I don’t really complain about the cost of living here or the fact that things are much more expensive than what I would pay for in the states because I EXPECT it to cost more. So when people bitch and complain about the cost of things, especially when they’ve been here for a while… get over it. 90% of the people I’ve heard complain are those who chose to move here.
Things that I miss include:
- My family, of course
- My friends
- One of the big things that has stuck out lately is that I miss the work interaction with the police/paramedics/firefighters that I was/am friends with. I miss joking around with or hassling my favorite medics when they would call in for times on a call. I miss officers calling in and saying “That person is flat out bat shit crazy” or being filled in on what happened on the scene of an incident. We don’t have that here.
- Chickfila. I miss Chickfila.
- And I can’t forget my dogs. I’m having to resubmit the boy’s application. The picture made him kind of look like a pit mix so I’m figuring I can wait a few weeks and then resubmit it. He may have to be under an alias name, but I think he can live with that.
As you can see overall there aren’t too awful many negatives about living here. And with 15 months left on my contract, I have about 9 months until I have to decide on whether or not to request a renewal. A lot can happen in that time frame so we will see how it goes.