Days off – part 1

So a while back, I posted what my typical work day is like and I wrote that I would also write what I do on my days off.  Well, being that I’m an extraordinary procrastinator, I’m finally getting around to doing just that.

It depends on the day of the week and what is going on in the world that dictates what I do on my days off.

For instance, if my first day off falls on a Sunday, I stay up after work.  I am in charge of writing the events on the Rec Board on Sunday and Monday morning.  The Rec Board is a big whiteboard located just outside of the Galley.  Every week, a list of recreational events comes out and each day the activities of the day are written up.  During winter, we had some amazing art work on the board.  One of the electricians, Jason, drew penguins that most people on station loved.  They were penguins with attitude.  I, on the other hand, have close to no two dimensional art skills, but I can draw a wicked stick figure.  So I do.

After I decorate the white board, I take a shower, check out things on Facebook, and then go to church.  We have a non-denominational service every Sunday morning between 10-11.  Even though the service is non-denominational, it is basically a catholic service  I’m actually surprised at the number of catholics here.  After the service, there is a separate communion service for the catholics that attend the service with the exception of Easter Sunday.  During that service, we all had communion together using a loaf of bread from the galley and a jug of grape juice after going to Hut Point to watch the sun rise (yes, my blogs are horribly out of order, but I’ve been in writing mode).

After church, I go to brunch.  Sunday brunch is my favorite meal of the week hands down.  And when I’m off, I get to sit and socialize with different people for a few hours over good food.  After brunch, I generally go and nap for a couple of hours, then I get up and head to either the gerbil gym or the big gym since I’ve started playing McMurdoian version of tennis.  It’s actually more like racquetball.  And I am horrible at it.  But it’s a good way to get in around an hour of cardio.  After working out, I go to the sauna for a half hour and then shower and by that time, it’s time for dinner.  After dinner, I either head to the coffeehouse for a bit, depending on the movie that is playing, or I head to my room to watch one of the movies that is playing and crash out.

If my second off day falls on a Sunday, I generally do the same thing, but I wake up at 7am to start the process.

Some of my whiteboard art and a few pictures from the Easter Service.

Published by Victoria

Hello! I'm a so-so photographer, okay writer, former 911 telecommunicator and world's best Aunt. Closing in on 40, I find myself at a point in my life where I have no idea what I want to do next. I'm currently spending summer 2021 in Texas with my boyfriend, Robert and helping him start building a plane before he goes back to Antarctica in August.

2 thoughts on “Days off – part 1

  1. I want to know where the fire truck rides go to. Also, do you get many riders?

    Have you been to a Women of Antarctica meet and greet?

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: